Is There Candy Next Door?
click on the map for larger view | Click here for info on Bounty on the Bayou
By popular demand from candy lovers and parents alike, Nextdoor’s Treat Map is back for another year of tricks and treats! Halloween is the perfect time to head out into the neighborhood and celebrate with neighbors, whether it’s with an incredible haunted house or king-sized candy bars.
To honor one of the most neighborly holidays of the year, Nextdoor is launching the Halloween Treat Map for the second year in a row to give Nextdoor members an insider’s guide to the best streets for treats in your neighborhood.
Nextdoor’s Halloween Treat Map lets you mark your home with a candy corn icon to let your neighbors know you will be giving out candy. We’re taking the guesswork out of Halloween to ensure you find the best, most convenient route possible for your trick-or-treaters, whether you’re on your computer or headed out into the neighborhood with Nextdoor for iPhone and Android.
Follow these simple steps to use the Treat Map:
Once signed in, visit your neighborhood map. You will be given the option to add a candy on top of your home. Encourage your neighbors and friends to place the icon on the map so you’ll know exactly who is handing out candy.
The power of Yahoo.
The social aspect of Facebook.
The greatness of neighbors.
Faubourg St. John has yet another tool to keep informed and connected with each other. It’s called NEXTDOOR. No, it’s not a replacement for Conrad’s Yahoo group. The company gives a complete explanation of what NEXTDOOR is below. NEXTDOOR also has a blog where you can learn how other cities and neighborhoods are using NEXTDOOR at http://blog.nextdoor.com/
How is this different from what Faubourg St. John already has? NEXTDOOR is a private network of neighbors that live in Faubourg St. John. When you sign up you have to prove you live in Faubourg St. John using your real name and address. When you post something the system requires you to categorize the post making that recommendation or other important information easier to find later.
One of the great features of NEXTDOOR is the iPhone app. Why is this important? During hurricanes most of us have a working phone but may not have access to a working computer. The iPhone app let’s you interact with your neighbors in a convenient format. This can be very important during an emergency.
The app makes it easy to scroll through neighborhood news, upload photos, create posts, and “like” content shared by other users. There is a handy directory that lists contact information for your neighbors on Nextdoor, and an extensive set of notification options. If you receive one of Nextdoor’s “urgent alerts” for crimes and natural disasters, your phone will buzz.
Nextdoor plays host to nearly 13,000 neighborhood networks spread across all 50 states in the U.S., with each one private to members in the area who must verify their address before they join.
The service, which has raised around $50 million in funding, is partnered with more than 100 police departments to provide people with information on pressing city matters. It has particularly high neighborhood penetration rates in urban metros such as San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, San Diego, and Dallas.
What is Nextdoor?
Please note: Nextdoor Faubourg St. John is a private website created by you and your neighbors, and supported by the company, Nextdoor, Inc. Learn more about Nextdoor, Inc. below.
Nextdoor is the private social network for you, your neighbors and your community. It’s the easiest way for you and your neighbors to talk online and make all of your lives better in the real world. And it’s free.
Thousands of neighborhoods are already using Nextdoor to build happier, safer places to call home.
People are using Nextdoor to:
- Quickly get the word out about a break-in
- Organize a Neighborhood Watch Group
- Track down a trustworthy babysitter
- Find out who does the best paint job in town
- Ask for help keeping an eye out for a lost dog
- Find a new home for an outgrown bike
- Finally call that nice man down the street by his first name
Nextdoor’s mission is to bring back a sense of community to the neighborhood, one of the most important communities in each of our lives.
Who is Nextdoor
We created this company because we believe that the neighborhood is one of the most important and useful communities in a person’s life. We hope that neighbors everywhere will use the Nextdoor platform to build stronger and safer neighborhoods around the world.
If you are interested in joining our team, please view our current job openings.
- We are for neighbors
- For neighborhood barbecues. For multi-family garage sales. For trick-or-treating
- We’re for slowing down, children at play.
- We’re for sharing a common hedge and an awesome babysitter.
- We’re for neighborhood watch. Emergency response. And for just keeping an eye
out for a lost cat.
- We believe waving hello to the new neighbor says, “Welcome” better than any doormat.
- We believe technology is a powerful tool for making neighborhoods stronger, safer places to call home.
- We’re all about online chats that lead to more clothesline chats.
- We believe fences are sometimes necessary, but online privacy is always necessary.
- We believe strong neighborhoods not only improve our property value, they improve
each one of our lives.
- We believe that amazing things can happen by just talking with the people next door.
- We are Nextdoor. We are simply you and your neighbors, together.
Fences are sometimes necessary. But online privacy is always necessary. Nextdoor makes it safe to share online the kinds of things you’d be okay sharing with your neighbors in person.
- Every neighbor has to verify their address.
- Every neighbor signs in with their real name. Just like in person.
- Your website is protected by password and encrypted by HTTPS.
- We never share your info with advertisers.
Nextdoor makes it safe to share online the kind of things you’d be okay sharing with your neighbors in person.
- Every neighbor must verify their address.
- Each neighbor signs in with their real name. Just like in person.
- You choose where your information is shared.
- Your website is securely encrypted using the HTTPS Internet protocol.
- Information shared will never show up in Google or other search engines.
- Nextdoor never shares your personal information with third-party advertisers.
To learn more about verification, visit Frequently Asked Questions about verification.
To learn more about safety, visit Frequently Asked Questions about safety.
If you have a personal safety concern, report it here.
We created Nextdoor because we believe that a neighborhood is one of the most important and useful communities in a person’s life.
We believe in the traditional notion of neighbors as people who help and look out for each other. We hope that Nextdoor members embrace the concept of being neighborly to each other.
To us, being neighborly includes:
Respecting your neighbors
- Be honest, authentic, and straightforward in all actions
- Show tolerance to each other, even if you don’t share similar opinions
- Don’t share posts from the website without the author’s permission
Sharing useful information 896598/*
- Answer your fellow neighbors’ questions
- Report crime and emergency alerts
- Post weather and traffic bulletins
- Discuss community-wide issues
- Publicize neighborhood events
Supporting your neighborhood
- Recommend great local businesses and service providers (without spamming)
- Sell, share, or donate products that you no longer need
- Strengthen the community by inviting your neighbors to Nextdoor
We continue to be amazed by how neighborhoods across the country have embraced Nextdoor and have come to rely on it every single day. For over 12,600 neighborhoods in all 50 states, Nextdoor has become an essential tool in building stronger and safer places to call home.
Today we hope to take this to the next level by introducing Nextdoor for iPhone and iPod touch.
The Nextdoor App brings the power of the neighborhood to the palm of your hand – stay connected and safe anytime, from anywhere.
With Nextdoor for iPhone and iPod touch, members can:
- Access the complete newsfeed
- Create and reply to neighbor messages
- Send and receive urgent alerts and private messages
- Post a photo from your iPhone camera roll to a Nextdoor message
- Thank and welcome neighbors
- Receive immediate notifications about neighborhood activity
- Navigate to the neighbor directory, private message inbox, and filters for viewing city/police posts, groups, and categories
Feedback from our members has been and always will be the driving force behind the development of Nextdoor. For some time, a dedicated app for iPhone and iPod touch has been the number one requested feature. In fact, 30% of all visits to Nextdoor.com to date have come through mobile browsers.
To download the Nextdoor App, please visit www.nextdoor.com/mobile.
We hope that you enjoy Nextdoor for iPhone and iPod touch as much as we have enjoyed building it. Please send any feedback, comments, and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org. For those of you with Android phones, we are already hard at work on a Nextdoor app and plan to release it this summer.
On behalf of our entire team, thank you for being part of the Nextdoor community. We are thrilled to be working together to bring back a sense of community to neighborhoods everywhere.
Co-Founder and CEO