LLS announces the inaugural Louisiana Landmarks Society Awards for Excellence in Historic Preservation. These awards will honor projects completed in Orleans Parish (outside of the French Quarter) in 2012 or 2013 that represent outstanding examples of restoration or rehabilitation of historic buildings, as well as new construction in a historic district.Nominations for the 2014 Awards may be submitted from individuals, companies, or organizations. Nominations should be submitted via a nomination form on the LLS website starting today. The deadline for nominations is January 15, 2014. Of particular interest are projects which:
- Demonstrate that historic preservation can be a tool to revitalize older neighborhoods
- Show that historic preservation is “green” and sustainable
- Support the cultural and ethnic diversity of the preservation movement
- Are creative examples of saving a historic building
- Involve properties that utilized various federal or state tax incentive programs
- Represent new design that is appropriate to historic neighborhoods
“It is important to recognize the extraordinary investment of time, money, effort, and attention to detail that is required to create projects that stand out in a city known for historic preservation,” said Elliott Perkins, executive director of the Historic District Landmarks Commission.The Selection Committee includes representatives from Louisiana’s State Historic Preservation Office, New Orleans and CBD Historic District Landmarks Commissions, Tulane School of Architecture and the Louisiana Landmarks Society.
“We are excited to be able to continue this important awards program, and to inaugurate it in 2014, marking fifty years since Louisiana Landmarks Society saved the Pitot House,” said Walter Gallas, LLS Executive Director.
The 2014 Louisiana Landmarks Society Awards for Excellence in Historic Preservation winners will be presented at a luncheon on April 9, 2014.
We encourage you to nominate projects you may know, and to spread the word. Questions can be sent to email@example.com or by calling 504.482.0312.